Looking for an interesting and delicious appetizer for New Year’s Eve? Your guests will love this quick, and easy salmon dip recipe served with your choice of dinner crackers or pita chips. And since salmon is so healthy for you, you won’t feel guilty about having more than your share! This recipe combines fresh, skinless salmon with smoked salmon for an appetizer you’ll want to make for every celebration.
Ingredients for Salmon Dip:
- 1 pound of TBS salmon, skinned and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces of TBS smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 cups of dry white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Sprigs of fresh dill for serving, if desired
- Your favorite dinner crackers or pita chips for serving
- In a shallow saucepan, combine the wine, shallots, and peppercorns on medium-low heat. Once warmed, simmer for 5 to 6 minutes until the shallots become tender. Add the fresh salmon pieces and simmer on low for 3 to 4 minutes until the fish becomes almost opaque.
- Remove the salmon pieces and place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Strain the liquid and discard the peppercorns while reserving the shallots.
- Place the salmon and shallots in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the crème fraîche, mayonnaise, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Fold in the cooked salmon, shallots, smoked salmon, and chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl with a small knife. Add a few sprigs of dill for a festive look if desired. Serve with a platter of crackers.
Make routine visits to The Butcher Shop one of your New Year’s resolutions.
Visit The Butcher Shop in Eagle Point for the freshest meats and locally grown fruits and vegetables in Southern Oregon. All of our selections are sourced from local farms. You’ll be delighted with how delicious your meals are when you prepare them with high-quality selections from The Butcher Shop. Call us at 541-830-3369 to learn what we have available and to place pre-orders that will be ready for you to pick up.