Roasting on a bed of sea salt is a magical way to add delicious flavor to your chicken. The salt brings out the juices in the meat, seasons them, and then returns them to the bird for a delicious chicken dinner. Plus, the aromatics will fill your home and get all of your guests’ stomachs rumbling. Roasted chicken on sea salt is one of the easiest recipes for a delectable comfort meal and requires only a few ingredients you likely have on hand in your kitchen.
Ingredients for Roasted Chicken on Sea Salt:
- 1 3-pound TBS roasting chicken
- 3 cups of sea salt
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Using a food processor, blend the sea salt, lemon zest, basil, thyme, and garlic.
- Spread the mixture onto a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Lightly pepper the bird. Place the chicken, breast side down, on the center of the foil, and fold the foil around the chicken. Crimp the foil to seal the edges.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan, and roast for about 90 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 155F. Always check the temperature of the chicken in a thick part of the meat, preferably the thigh.
- When fully cooked, take the chicken out of the foil and use a pastry brush to remove all the salt mixture. Carve and serve immediately.
Stop by The Butcher Shop for the Freshest Meats and Local Produce
Why purchase meat and produce from a grocery store that comes from who knows where? We have such excellent, fresh meat and produce available to us locally! The Butcher Shop is your one-stop-shop for locally sourced meats and produce from farms right here in Southern Oregon. At TBS, you’ll find the perfect cut of meat for your meal, plus fresh-baked loaves of bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, local wine and beers, and even quality food specifically for your canine. Stop by today or call ahead to pre-order your ingredients.