Oregon is known for many natural wonders, but fresh salmon and abundant local wines are two of our favorites. This poached salmon dish combines those two into a delicious meal your family will love.
Plus, salmon is good for you. A three to four-ounce serving of salmon is about 200 calories (before you add the delicious sauce, of course!). Salmon is very low in saturated fat and is filled with protein, vitamin B12, potassium, iron, and vitamin D.
For the salmon:
- 1 ½ pounds fresh TBS salmon filet
- ¼ cup of your favorite local Chardonnay
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the sauce:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups of your favorite local Pinot Gris
- 10 to 12 thin slices fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
Poached Salmon Directions:
Prepare the salmon:
- Fill the bottom three inches of a roasting pan with water and add the Chardonnay and the salt. Bring the contents to a boil.
- Once the liquids reach a boil, add the salmon and cover with a lid or foil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 8 minutes for each ½ inch of filet thickness. The fish should flake easily.
- Remove the salmon and allow it to cool.
Prepare the sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken stock and Pinot Gris over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Reduce the temperature to medium-low, add the ginger, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes. Beginning at about 8 minutes, check the taste regularly to monitor the intensity of the ginger. Once it is to your liking, remove the ginger slices and discard them.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and flour with a fork or pastry blender until smooth. Whisk the flour and butter into the stock mixture.
- Whisk the heavy cream into the stock mixture and set the contents to simmer. Stir constantly until the liquid has thickened–do not let it boil.
Finally, serve your dinner. Plate the salmon and drizzle with the sauce.
For the freshest fish, seafood, and meats, choose The Butcher Shop.
We receive seafood shipments on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from small fishing outfits in nearby coastal towns. Some of our seafood selection is seasonal, so give us a call to see what we have in stock today, or call us at 541-830-3369 to place an order for future pickup. Come by our store to grab fresh produce for your side dish and browse our selection of local wines and craft beer.