How To Cook The Best Flank Steak with Sweet Pepper Sauce
Flank steak with sweet pepper sauce is a delicious steak recipe originated from Italy, where locals enjoy the melded flavors of fresh peppers, onion, and tomatoes. It’s simple to make and light enough for a late Summer evening dinner on the deck. It’s always a good idea to cook a little more meat than you think you’ll need since leftover flank steak is a delicious topping for a hearty salad the next day.
Flank Steak with Sweet Pepper Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 pounds TBS flank steak, trimmed
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 sweet bell peppers (red or yellow)
- 1 sweet onion
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons capers and 4 teaspoons of the caper brine
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Season the meat. Combine the oregano and the salt in a bowl. Cut the meat into 4 equal sections. Sprinkle the mixture on all sides of the meat, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (longer is better up to 24 hours).
- Prepare the vegetables. Slice the bell peppers into long ¼ inch strips, discarding the seed and stems. Quarter the onion and then slice ¼ inch wide strips. Set aside.
- Make the sweet pepper sauce. Saute the bell peppers, onion, garlic, and ½ teaspoon of salt in about ⅓ cup of olive oil in a covered skillet over medium heat until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce the sauce. Stir in the can of diced tomatoes, including the juice, the capers and brine, and the red pepper flakes. Cook uncovered until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in a covered bowl. Cover with aluminum foil to keep it warm.
- Cook the meat. Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. Pat the beef dry with paper towels and season the sections with pepper. Add 1 ½ tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium. When the oil is hot, add the steaks. Cook until each side is well browned. Medium rare steaks will usually take 5 to 7 minutes on each side to cook and should register between 120 to 125 degrees. Transfer to a cutting board and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Allow the steaks to rest for 10 minutes.
- Enhance the sauce. Add the basil to the sweet pepper sauce and stir well.
- Serve your meal. After the steaks have rested, slice the pieces thinly against the grain on a bias cut. This will make the pieces more tender. Serve slices on dinner plates and drizzle with the sweet pepper sauce.
This dish pairs well with many other seasonal vegetables such as green beans, potatoes, or beets.
Stop by The Butcher Shop for the Freshest Meats and Local Produce
Why purchase meat and produce from a grocery store that comes from who knows where? We have such excellent, fresh meat and produce available to us locally! The Butcher Shop is your one-stop shop for locally sourced meats and produces from farms right here in Southern Oregon. At TBS, you’ll find the perfect cut of meat for your meal, plus fresh-baked loaves of bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, local wine and beers, and even quality food specifically for your canine. Stop by today or call ahead to pre-order your ingredients.