Prepare a Delicious and Healthy Meal with Fresh Baked Salmon
For those of us living in the Pacific Northwest, we are blessed with ample access to fresh salmon. In 1961, the Chinook salmon—the largest of the Pacific salmons—was given the designation of the Oregon State fish. These freshwater fish populate many of our local rivers and with so many varieties in our waters, one type of salmon or another is almost always making a run no matter what time of year.
Salmon is one of the healthiest sources of protein we can consume in our diets, and luckily for us—it’s pretty darn delicious, too. This fish is filled with Omega-3 fatty acids that are extremely beneficial to heart health. Additionally, abundant nutrients in the fish such as proteins, vitamin B, potassium, and an antioxidant named astaxanthin combine together to reduce the risk of heart disease while fighting inflammation and limiting weight gain. Many believe eating salmon is also beneficial for brain health. And you can’t go wrong with the deliciousness of fresh baked salmon.
Adding salmon to your diet is as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Visit The Butcher Shop to purchase local, farm-raised salmon (or wild depending on the season.)
- Use this simple recipe to make fresh baked salmon:
- 4 6-ounce TBS salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- a lemon
Directions Fro Fresh Baked Salmon:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place fillets on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, juice of ½ the lemon, garlic, and all the herbs.
- Spoon the mixture over all the fillets.
- Slice the remaining ½ lemon and place a slice on top of each fillet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. The fish should be opaque and flakey.
3. Grab some plates and get ready to enjoy your meal! Serve immediately with your favorite side dish such as asparagus or golden beets.
Stop by or call The Butcher Shop to get all the ingredients you need for an amazing meal. Not only do we have the freshest locally sourced meats and seafood, but also your one-stop-shop to purchase locally made products as well as fresh fruits and vegetables from nearby farms. Come by and see us today!