Got Leftovers? Here’s a New Way to Use them Up with Chicken Cordon Bleu Quesadillas
After the holidays, you’re bound to have a refrigerator full of leftovers. Sure, there are a lot of traditional ways to use leftover turkey or ham—for example, add your meat to a big pot of split pea soup. But wouldn’t you like to surprise your family with a new recipe this year? If so, chicken cordon bleu quesadillas are just the thing to use up leftover chicken (or turkey!) and ham in an innovative dish.
- About ¾ pounds of leftover chicken or turkey–preferably white meat but really dark meat would work just fine, too.
- 8 slices of ham sliced reasonably thin
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- Dijon mustard to taste
- 1 ½ cup of Swiss cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grated Parmesan and/or freshly chopped parsley as optional garnishments.
- Re-heat your meats in the microwave just to remove the extra refrigerator chill. You’ll be heating them in the quesadilla on the stove later on, but this will help the quesadilla to heat more evenly.
- Assemble the quesadillas. Spread out your tortillas on a breadboard or work surface. Assemble the quesadillas by spreading mustard onto 4 of the tortillas and top these with 2 slices of ham, a handful of chicken or turkey, and a generous sprinkling of Swiss cheese and mozzarella cheese. Top each with one of the other 4 tortillas.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and place on medium heat. Take one quesadilla set at a time and heat on the skillet until tortillas are golden and the cheese has melted. Be sure to flip the quesadilla partway through to brown both of the tortillas!
- Serve the quesadillas while warm. Sprinkle some Parmesan and parsley on the quesadillas, and slice into wedges.
Run out of leftovers? It’s time to stop by The Butcher Shop!
Come back and see us after you’ve finished off your holiday leftovers to plan your next meals! Just give us a call at 541-830-3369 or stop by in person to choose the best locally sourced meats and seafood for your family.