Celebrate the New Year with Tenderloin Steaks
Making it through the end of 2020 and welcoming the beginning of 2021 is cause to rejoice! And what better way to celebrate new opportunities than with a delicious dinner featuring tenderloin steaks from TBS.
What makes tenderloin steaks “tender?” This cut of beef earned its name because it comes from the short loin (technically called the “psoas major”) of the cow. This particular muscle does not bear any weight of the animal so it has less connective tissue that makes the meat exceptionally tender.
Here is a simple meal you can make using beef tenderloin you are sure to enjoy:
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks from TBS. Choose steaks that are about an inch thick and weigh about 5 ounces.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 shallots-finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- ¼ teaspoon whole peppercorns-crushed
- ½ cup dry red wine (or you can substitute beef broth)
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 2 ounces fresh, crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 415.
- Season steaks by sprinkling salt and pepper on both sides of the meat. Do not rub it in.
- Add butter to a hot, deep skillet. Sear steaks in the melted butter over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Place steaks on a baking sheet and bake until steaks reach the right temperature for your preferred level of “doneness.” Remove from the oven and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Medium-rare: 135
- Medium: 140
- Medium-well: 145
- Reduce heat to low and sauté the shallots with the cognac and peppercorns. Gently stir to deglaze the pan from searing the steaks.
- Add the red wine and beef broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until this sauce reduces to about ½ cup of liquid. Set aside.
- Sprinkle goat cheese over the tenderloin steaks and place in the broiler (without the foil) for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese becomes soft.
- Plate the steaks and drizzle with sauce.
- Serve with your favorite sides such as mashed potatoes or Brussels sprouts.
Select the finest, freshest ingredients from TBS Celebrate the New Year with Tenderloin Steaks
Whatever your holiday traditions may be, let our team at The Butcher Shop put together the perfect ingredients for your special dinner. Stop by or give us a call to place an order. Our locally sourced meats and fresh seafood selections will make any dish absolutely delicious.