Easy and Delicious Brunch: Cheesy Sausage Egg Casserole
One of my favorite parts of the holidays is enjoying a lazy morning with family and friends with an easy-to-prepare brunch for everyone to enjoy. Whether you are hosting a meal in your home or looking for a dish you can bring to enjoy elsewhere, a cheesy sausage egg casserole is something everyone will love.
This recipe is extremely simple to make, so it’s a perfect option for kids who want to be involved with meal preparation, too. If your morning will be rushed, you can brown the meat ahead of time—just store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to put it all together.
- 1 pound of TBS sausage
- 1 medium sweet or white onion diced (sweet is easier for kids to prepare)
- ¾ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 red pepper diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3-cup milk
- 1 20-ounce bag frozen hashbrowns, diced and thawed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- optional: thinly sliced green onions to sprinkle on top
- 9×9 or 11×17 baking dish
- Pre-heat your oven to 375F.
- Brown the sausage over medium-high heat. Browning not only removes excess fat, but it adds more flavor to your meat. Use a slotted spoon to move browned meat to a large mixing bowl. Reserve about a tablespoon of the sausage grease and discard the rest.
- Sauté the onion and red pepper in the reserved sausage grease for about 5 minutes or until onion becomes clear and pepper has softened.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, and oregano and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sautéd vegetables into the mixing bowl with the sausage.
- Add 1 ½ cup of shredded cheese and the hashbrowns to the bowl and stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and black pepper with a whisk. Pour into the sausage, veggies, and hashbrown mixture and stir.
- Put the mixture into a baking dish and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-14 minutes until the hashbrowns are cooked through.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle the optional green onions on top.
Make this recipe your own by choosing your favorite sausage from The Butcher Shop. Just let our team members know you’re making this recipe, and we’ll help you pick out the perfect ingredients for your family.