Sweet and Savory Cocktail Meatballs
Whether it’s a sports party or a family gathering, these sweet and savory cocktail meatballs will be a grand slam hit. To ensure that your meatballs are made from high-quality ingredients, purchase your meat and vegetables fresh from The Butcher Shop.
Cocktail Meatballs Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 egg, large
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 3/4 cup of white sandwich bread cubes, no crust
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- 1/8 tsp of allspice
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1 tsp of paprika
Cocktail Meatballs Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbsp of cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of finely grated shallot
1. Set your oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with sturdy aluminium foil, making sure to tuck the foil into the edges and corners of the baking pan. Spray an oven-safe cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray. Place the oven-safe cooling rack on top of the aluminium-lined baking sheet. This is so the meatball grease will cook off of the meatballs and drip down into the baking sheet for easy cleaning and reduced oven mess.
2. In a bowl, combine the large egg and heavy cream with a whisk. Once mixed, throw in the white bread cubes and mash with a potato masher or fork until bread cubes are blended with egg and cream mixture.
3. Attach your paddle mixer blade to your standing mixer. Toss the ground pork, salt, baking powder, allspice, pepper, paprika, and garlic cloves into the mixing bowl. Mix on high speed for two minutes. Add bread mixture from Step 2 and mix on high speed 1 minute. Scrape everything together off the sides of the bowl. Throw in the ground beef and mix for about 30 seconds on medium-low speed.
4. Wet your hands. Start grabbing meat from the bowl and forming meatballs. Rest formed meatballs on the cooling rack on the baking pan. Put meatballs into the oven to bake for about 20 to 22 minutes.
5. Using a sauté pan, combine the sauce ingredients and put on medium heat until it simmers. Reduce heat and cook on low for 10 minutes or until thickened. Leave the sauce in the pan for Step 6.
6. Remove cooked meatballs from the oven. Set them in the sauce. Fold the meatballs into the sauce until fully covered.
7. Once all meatballs have been coated in sauce, scoop them onto a serving plate. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the meatballs for full flavor saturation. Spear each meatball with a cocktail toothpick for easy serving.
8. Additional garnishments can include chopped parsley, sour cream, or melted cheese.