The holidays are just around the corner, and that means time to share with friends and family. Traditional dinners usually feature ham or turkey, so it’s a wonderful change of pace to cook up a different style of dinner that will still warm your guests’ hearts. Our short rib pomegranate tacos combine the hearty taste of beef with the flavors of the season for an easy-to-prepare dinner everyone will love.
Ingredients for short rib pomegranate tacos:
- 2 ½ pounds of TBS beef short ribs, bone-in
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 ancho chile peppers, stemmed and with seeds removed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, cotija cheese, and lime wedges for garnishes
These ingredients will be for the pomegranate relish:
- 1 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 jalapeño pepper, with seeds removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons of shallots, diced
- 1 juiced lime
- ¼ cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- Take the short ribs out of the refrigerator and allow them to warm to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, prepare the pomegranate relish. Mix all the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- While the pan is heating, season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Place the short ribs in the skillet and brown for 5 minutes on each side. The ribs should develop a browned crust. Remove the ribs from the skillet and set aside. Deglaze the pan with pomegranate juice and turn off the heat.
- Place the meat and the juice in a slow cooker and set it to low. Add the chiles, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Cover the cooker and braise the short ribs for six to 8 hours. The meat should be tender and will release from the bones.
- Turn off the heat and remove the bones, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick. Allow the meat to cool in the cooker.
- Scoop out the meat and the chiles. Chop the meat and chiles together and put them into a large bowl. Add salt to taste as needed. Add some of the warm braising juices.
- Warm the corn tortillas until they are flexible. Fill the tacos when your guests are ready to eat. Fill each tortilla with some of the meat and top with the pomegranate relish. Allow your guests to add garnishes as they desire.
Stop by The Butcher Shop for the Freshest Meats and Local Produce
Why purchase meat and produce from a grocery store that comes from who knows where? We have such excellent, fresh meat and produce available to us locally! The Butcher Shop is your one-stop-shop for locally sourced meats and produce from farms right here in Southern Oregon. At TBS, you’ll find the perfect cut of meat for your meal, plus fresh-baked loaves of bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, local wine and beers, and even quality food specifically for your canine. Stop by today or call ahead to pre-order your ingredients.