Use Your Holiday Ham Leftovers By Serving Croque Madames
Do you have more than a little leftover ham in your fridge, and you need a new way to prepare it? Would you like to serve a breakfast or brunch sandwich for your family that makes you look like a master chef? Croque Madames are a delicious solution to both of these desires!
“Croque Madame” is a continuation of a French favorite, the Croque Monsieur” or “mister crunch.” A Croque Monsieur is a ham, béchamel, parmesan, and gruyere sandwich, topped with more parmesan and gruyere cheese and baked until everything is toasted and bubbly. To transform it to a Croque Madame, add a fried egg to the top.
Croque Madames Ingredients:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sandwich (makes 4):
- 8 slices of bread
- Leftover TBS ham, sliced
- About 6 ounces of gruyere cheese, grated
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 eggs, fried to sunny side up
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Prepare the béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to stir for 3 minutes. Gradually pour in the milk, continuing to whisk until the mixture is smooth and the sauce has thickened. Season with a dash of salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and whisk in the mustard and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the béchamel sauce on each of the slices of bread. Place 4 slices onto the baking sheet with the béchamel side up. Top with a piece of ham and a handful of gruyere cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Add a second piece of bread on the top with the béchamel side up. Top with more gruyere and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Turn oven to broil and bake until the top is lightly golden (about 3 minutes.)
- While the sandwiches are baking, fry the eggs. When the sandwiches are done, carefully plate the sandwiches and add a fried egg to the top of each.
Find all the best locally sourced meats and produce at The Butcher Shop
One of the best parts of living in Oregon is having access to fresh and delicious meats and produce. That’s why The Butcher Shop always carries locally sourced meats and produce from farms right here in Southern Oregon. At TBS, you’ll find the perfect cut of meat for your meal, plus fresh-baked loaves of bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, local wine and beers, and even quality food specifically for your canine. Stop by today or call ahead to pre-order your ingredients.