Stuffed Bell Peppers are one of my fall favorite recipes because local farms are full of fresh, delicious bell peppers. This recipe requires a bit of preparation, so it’s best to make it when you have at least two hours before your family plans to sit down to eat.
- Seven green bell peppers, medium size
- 1 pound TBS lean ground beef
- 4+ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 5 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 cup long-grain rice, cooked
- 2 cups Jack cheese, grated
- ½ jar of marinara sauce
Stuffed Bell Peppers Directions:
- Clean and blanch six of the peppers. Cut the tops off of six of the peppers and retain the tops with the seventh pepper. Remove all the seeds and membranes. Place the peppers in boiling water for three minutes, making sure they are covered completely. You may need to do this three peppers at a time. Immediately take the peppers out of the boiling water and set them in iced water, ensuring they are completely submerged. After at least 5 minutes, remove from the ice bath and allow to drain.
- Cook the rice. Prepare 1 cup of dried rice–this should make about 3 cups of cooked rice. Follow the directions on the rice package.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- Clean, seed, and chop the seventh green pepper and the tops of the six peppers from the first step. Discard the seeds, membrane, and stem.
- Chop your onion and garlic, and dice the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Shred the jack cheese.
- Brown the meat. Heat a deep skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the ground beef. Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper to the ground beef while it is browning. Remove the browned meat from the skillet and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to collect the drippings.
- After the rice is cooked, saute the vegetables.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and then place it back on the burner.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and saute the onion and diced green peppers until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and red pepper flakes until everything is cooked through.
- Mix the remaining ingredients into the vegetables in the skillet.
- Return the ground beef to the skillet.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Stir in about half of the jack cheese. Mix well.
- Assemble the peppers in a deep baking dish. Pour about ¼ cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish. Place each of the green pepper shells into the dish. Fill each pepper with the meat, vegetable, and rice mixture. Spoon additional marinara sauce over each bell pepper. Cover all the peppers with the remaining jack cheese.
- Bake. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then, uncover and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
One of the best parts of living in Oregon is having access to fresh and delicious meats and produce. That’s why The Butcher Shop always carries locally sourced meats and produce from farms right here in Southern Oregon. At TBS, you’ll find the perfect cut of meat for your meal, plus fresh-baked loaves of bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, local wine and beers, and even quality food specifically for your canine. Stop by today or call ahead to pre-order your ingredients