Chicken, Spinach, and Mushroom Lasagna
This lasagna features a bit of heat to offset the creamy bechamel sauce, resulting in a delicious chicken-based lasagna the whole family will love. The first night’s dinner is delicious, and the leftovers the next day are even better!
- 2 ½ pounds TBS chicken breast meat, cooked and shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt, divided
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
This recipe is constructed in three phases: the chicken mixture, the bechamel sauce, and then finally, assembling the lasagna for baking. You’ll want to use a very deep skillet with a cover for the chicken mixture and a large saucepan for the bechamel sauce–the bigger, the better.
Step 1: Make the chicken mixture.
- Heat your skillet and add the olive oil.
- Saute the onion, garlic, mushroom, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook until the mushrooms have softened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the spinach and cover with the lid. After about a minute, stir in the spinach. It should wilt and mix easily.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the bechamel sauce.
- Now is a good time to preheat your oven to 375.
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock, milk, 1 tsp salt, and nutmeg to a light boil.
- As soon as you begin to see bubbles forming, slowly add the flour. It’s best to add about ¼ cup at a time; otherwise, the flour will be too clumpy. Whisk the flour well to mix it in. Continue whisking the mixture to keep it from burning until the sauce begins to thicken. Be patient; this will take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
Step 4: Assemble the chicken, spinach, and mushroom lasagna.
This recipe will make a lot of lasagna. You may be able to fill a regular 9 X 11 deep casserole dish as well as a second 8 X 8 dish. The layers tend to be thicker depending on the chunkiness of your chicken. Do not overfill your casserole – leave about an inch of space between the top layer and the rim of the dish. Otherwise, it will spill over and create a mess in your oven.
- Add a thin layer of bechamel sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Add a layer of noodles.
- Add a layer of chicken mixture.
- Cover the chicken mixture with bechamel sauce.
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese.
Cover the casserole with foil and bake the chicken, spinach, and mushroom lasagna for 25 minutes at 375. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Allow the lasagna to cool and set at room temperature for another 15 minutes before serving.
Find the ingredients for your perfect meal at The Butcher Shop.
We know preparing healthy meals for your family is essential. That’s why The Butcher Shop always carries locally sourced meats and produce from farms right here in Southern Oregon. At TBS, you’ll find the perfect cut of meat for your meal, plus fresh-baked bread, fresh fruit and vegetables, local wine and beers, and even quality food, especially for your canine. So stop by today or call ahead to pre-order your ingredients.