A Simple Approach to Korean BBQ: Bulgogi Bowls
Are you ready to try something completely new? Here is an easy recipe you can make to replicate the delicious taste of Korean BBQ from the comfort of your home. Bulgogi means “fire meat” but don’t let that scare you off. This dish is known for its mildly sweet and smoky flavor that pairs well with rice and steamed vegetables.
Traditionally bulgogi is made with tender slices of beef (“bulgogi beef”) while some chefs use pork or chicken. It’s really all about what kind of meat you prefer. To replicate the bulgogi you might find in a Korean restaurant you would need to take care to slice the meat correctly and then marinate it to tenderize the meat. However, here is an EASY recipe you can make in minutes using simple meat to prepare: Skirt steak
- 2 pounds TBS skirt steak
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how much heat you prefer)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 cups brown rice (cooked per package instructions)
- Prepare the brown rice according to the package directions. Set aside when cooked.
- Sear the skirt steak with the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and salt in a skillet over medium-high heat. Turn down to low simmer just to keep the meat warm.
- Prepare the sauce. Combine the brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, ground ginger, red pepper flakes, and ground pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the sauce onto the sliced skirt steak and heat until the combined mixture is warm.
- Serve immediately over rice. Sprinkle with green onions.
The possibilities are endless for a side dish with Korean BBQ Bulgogi Bowls. Steamed carrots and broccoli are popular as are shelled edamame.
Come by The Butcher Shop to select the finest locally-sourced meats and vegetables for your dinner. Our meats are natural, non-GMO, and free-range sourced from local farmers here in Southern Oregon. We can help you put the perfect meal on your dinner table.