Ring in the New Year with an Easy-to-Prepare Meal: Lasagna Casserole
For many families, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are filled with time spent with family: playing board games, making jigsaw puzzles, watching football, or taking a brisk hike or two. The last thing you want to do is spend hours in the kitchen laboring over a big dinner. Here’s an easy recipe for lasagna casserole everyone will enjoy—plus, it can made ahead of time and warmed up whenever your troops are ready to take a break from the festivities to eat.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound TBS ground sausage (sweet or hot—whatever you prefer)
- 2 jars of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 3 cups creamy ricotta (make creamy ricotta by mixing ricotta with one egg and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add some basil or oregano for a little extra pizazz.)
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Prepare the penne pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside when done. While it is cooking, continue preparing the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Sauté the onions in a deep skillet or Dutch oven until the onions become translucent. Add garlic and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add and brown the sausage. Browning it will bring out the flavor!
- Add the marinara sauce, oregano, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Allow the sauce to cook until it begins to boil, and then turn it down to simmer.
- Put the prepared pasta into a 9×13 deep baking dish. Pour the sauce over the pasta. Add dollops of the creamy ricotta, swirling (but not mixing) it in. Scatter mozzarella on top and finish by covering everything with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow the dish to rest for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Select the finest, freshest ingredients from TBS
Whatever your holiday traditions may be, let our team at The Butcher Shop put together the perfect ingredients for your special dinner. Stop by or give us a call to place an order. Our locally sourced meats and fresh seafood selections will make any dish absolutely delicious.